Sunday, November 9, 2008

I still 'get' me.

I have been reading ALOT of blogs lately, but one my favs is definitely Hipster Runoff. I came across one of the funnier posts today. It's basically a letter written to "mom" from an "alternative kid" about how well they are doing and how no one 'gets' them. It's a good laugh. Check it out.

Hi mom,
Haven’t really tried to communicate with you since mother’s day. I appreciate the fact that you have kept money flowing into my account. I’m working on getting a job, I promise. Things are just busy at design school. You’ll be happy to know that I have a set of very demanding professors who are getting the best of me. Needless to say, I have big dreams.

I know that sometimes you don’t ‘get’ my lifestyle. That’s okay. One day you will. The truth is that I am an artist. I need to tell the world who I am and what is on my mind. Whether it’s the way I dress, the content in my facebook profile, or the doodles that I make on coffee shop napkins, all of these small things represent me. (Even though they are small, I have learned to consider them meaningful.)

I’ve had a lot of false starts on my journey towards adulthood, but please know that I have really matured. I voted for the first time in this election, and I felt like I was part of something bigger than myself. I know you weren’t an Obama supporter, but hopefully I can change your mind at Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe we can also talk about how I don’t believe in God any more, if time permits.

You see? I have my own mind now. Free of being impressionable. I am unique these days, mom. You’d be proud of me. The other night, my friends and I stayed up til 6 a.m. drinking box wine and talking about life/philosophy/design/consumerism. I just think things are really headed in the right direction for me. I might have to study abroad soon to make sure I am immersed in a meaningful culture where authentic ideas can really soak into my brain.

Thanks for all of your support, mom. I know sometimes you don’t ‘get’ why I am the way that I am, but one day, it will all make sense. Tell dad I said hey. I hope he isn’t still mad at me for quitting sports in high school. Sometimes I play frisbee golf.

Your son,
AltKid Growing Up

PS: In this envelope, you will find 3 CDs of bands with female singers. You will like them.
a) Feist
b) Crystal Castles
c) Uffie + Beach House mix CD

Give them some times. You’ll grow into them.

P.P.S: Please send a little bit more money. The seasons are changing and I need some new jackets and stuff like that. I have my eye on this black leather one, or maybe a pea coat.

No comments: